Re: [Amc-list] Got the 330 home today (3rd try - darn Gmail!)

Re: [Amc-list] Got the 330 home today (3rd try - darn Gmail!)

Bruce,

If it's front wheel bearings you need to service, I'd just replace them.
They are pretty inexpensive and you have to take them a part when you do
the brakes anyway. If it's the rears, I think you need to pull the hubs
and axles. Also, the noises you hear may be from rust on the drums
hitting the shoes. In any case, spend a couple of bucks on one of those
bearing packing tools. They really cut down on the mess and do a good
job of making sure they get greased properly. The one I have has a zerk
fitting on it and you just connect a grease gun to it.

Matt

Bruce Griffis wrote:
> We went to pick up the 330 today. One of my son's co-workers has a
> diesel pickup and a tow dolly, and offered to tow it home. My middle
> son and I got there early to check the tires (we put air in three) and
> to change the flat. Yay! Got four tires on, and all are holding air!
> We then decided to try and push it, to see if it would move. Nope.
> Checked that it was in neutral. Yep. Checked the parking brake - and
> it's grabbing on nothing. Got parking brake issues, lol. Still
> couldn't move the car.
>
> I brought a really good floor jack, so we jacked it up and checked the
> left front tire. Couldn't spin it, even when it was in the air.
> Dropped the front back down, jacked up the back and couldn't spin the
> tire. Okay, got issues here. Called my son and his friend and let then
> know we couldn't move the car at all. They came over and checked it
> out. Probably frozen wheel cylinders.
>
> We decided to call a flat bed service. He got there, checked it out,
> and put chains around the rear axle. Winched it back. Pop, pop, pop,
> POPPP! Three wheel cylinders freed up quickly. One wasn't quite so
> sure about it (the same one the original owner had problems with). We
> got it home and put it in the driveway. Had dinner. Then put some
> Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder. Put a little ATF in there as
> well. We'll top them off in the morning, making sure each cylinder is
> full.
>
> So - need wheel cylinders. Check! Frozen engine. Check! Dead battery.
> Check! Dry rot on the tires. Check!  Also gotta pack the bearings
> (after figuring out how). Pushing it around the driveway let me know
> the bearings need some attention. We'll figure it out.
>
> We also did a clandestine cleaning. Shhhhhhh! There is an outdoors
> water ban where we are, so I saved water from rinsing the dishes and
> washed the car a bit. It's funny having to sneak out after dark to
> wash the car with recycled water.
>
> Hoping for better luck tomorrow!

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH