[Amc-list] Jeep Cherokee Heater / radiator questions - core diverter val

[Amc-list] Jeep Cherokee Heater / radiator questions - core diverter valve failures, electric fan failures...

  Hey, just wanted to check with other CHerokee
owners, I have a '94 Sport, it has been leaking
coolant slowly. I think I found the problem, the
diverter valve to the heater core broke off a hose
nipple yesterday when I lifted a hose to check the
size ( swelling up, wanted to replace it ). Wondered
how common a failure this was to the valve, being a
plastic part. Luckily I was able to bypass it, and the
auto parts store I was at at lunchtime actually had
ONE of the valves in stock! Wow. So I have the
part(s), now just need to install it.

 The other question is, my electric fan hasn't worked
for a year, I've noticed that I've had overheating
problems when i come to a standstill in traffic, but
moving it's no problem, so I've let it go until now.
But I really need to fix it. Anyone know where the
sensor is located on the engine block that turns it on
and off? I'm going to jumper the fan itself, to make
sure it isn't bad as well, but wanted to find out
where that darn sensor was, as the wiring harness is
all buttoned up, without tearing up alot of harness
tracing it out. Any help, here? Thanks,

Jerry
Has a lot of hurting AMCs stacking up in the driveway...