Re: [Amc-list] The 'Turbo' Life Cycle (turbo 196)

Re: [Amc-list] The 'Turbo' Life Cycle (turbo 196)

> Most of the 196 powered cars started life well,
> as most new cars do, but once on their second/third/fourth/+ owners --
> well, then they were cheap transportation with minimal maintenance. With
> no full flow oil filter it's a testament to their bottom end strength
> that they lasted well over 100K miles if you ask me!! Ramblers just
> didn't have a lot of resale value from the mid 60s through the 70s.
> Pretty much after 64 or so if it was 3-4 years old resale value was
> shot. Resale value wasn't real high on anything back then, but Ramblers
> seemed to suffer more.

I don't have any experience with this motor, but from what I've read so far
they look very old-fashioned, but typically over-built in some areas, like
the bottom end, but the head design is poor all around (flow, cooling,
weight, etc).

But it's not a junk design, just old. Maintenance is the secret, and yeah,
I think most people bought cheap used cars BECAUSE they didn't want to
spend any money on the thing. Then nuts like us come along and get to deal
with years or decades worth of accumulated maint. It's a testament to their
quality that they ARE rebuildable!

('cept that upper trunnion... :-)

> The engine is rated for top power at 4200
> rpm, but it wouldn't turn over about 3700-3800 in the car going down
> hill in gear (IIRC).

Yeah, you can tell it doesn't like really to go much over 3000. I did that
by accident (had popped to N in stop-n-go freeway traffic, thought it was
in 3rd, goosed it). Probably did close to 4000 rpm. It was Not Happy.

> While sixes are inherently balanced by nature,
> balancing the reciprocating parts would be a very good idea. I'd also
> prep the rods -- polish the sides,have them shot-peened, install ARP
> bolts.

I still plan on building a 195.6OHV but it won't be aluminum -- too edgey
for me. I don't have the time nor money and it's not KEEP IT SIMPLE.
ANother iron six will drop in zero changes.

I had the 232 in the 63 Classic balanced and I believe it was totally worth
it even though I rarely rev the thing and performance was low on my list.
It's super-smooth and super silent.