Re: [Amc-list] check torque vs. retorque

-- Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've got 20+ years experience driving the 196 OHV as a daily driver. I
> never checked torque, if I put a wrench on I took the 30 minutes to
> loosen then torque each bolt. No need to loosen all or work in a pattern,
> just loosen slightly (1/4-1/2 turn) then torque back down.

Really, so that's "re-torque". OK, I can do that. Im a firm believer in
preventative maintenance!!

 "No retorque
> required" means you don't have to install the head, get engine up to
> operating temp and put 50 or so miles on it, then let it cool and
> retorque all the bolts.

Eh, I did that anyways. It's cheaper faster and easier than doing the job
over again. I had an old-style gasket anyways, not a blue one.

> I just know that the
> most common problem on the 196 OHV is a blown head gasket. The engine
> runs hot before you really notice, and if it runs very hot at all the
> head will warp.

Yeah, that really seems to be the failure mode for this motor. I think also
people were more cavalier about coolant. I've got a new radiator, a big fat
fan, flushed and good coolant. It's never overheated, but I watch it
anyways.

> The last time I got one with a 196 I hadn't had a 196 car for about five
> years. Ran good, I was planning on eventually changing out to a 4.0L at
> some point, so I drove it a little. Forgot completely about the head!

Yeah, none of us ever makes a misteak... gulp!

> Not sure if studs would solve the problem or not. I even considered that
> when I rebuilt my last 196 OHV. The problem is there's only one way to
> find out if it solves the issue, and I'm not willing to risk a warped
> head to do it! If I'm going to retorque every other year there's no point
> in going to the expense of installing studs. Besides, that makes the head
> "real fun" to get off later! I've pulled a flathead 196 head off over 20
> or so studs. It is anything BUT fun!!

Oh wow, I forgot about that... yeah it's a heavy head! That would be zero
fun. Bolts it is unless someone comes up with some solid evidence elsewise.