[Amc-list] That ole T-96...

Well with a few months of practice I'm pretty comfortable with this old
gearbox. Most of the problems I had with it have... gone away. It's
definitely very worn, the synchro barely works, but basically I now realize
I just didn't know how to shift it.

It requires finesse, basically. If the synchro worked it would be a lot
easier, but it's not all that positive. I can almost picture the bronze
nubs left on it! It's notchy when cold, but I can feel the synchro, let it
grab, then 2nd is aligned and no grind.

I usually get into first now with just a tick and a snick. Just gotta match
revs and feel it out. I only do this approaching a steep slope at < 15 mph.

Assuming I build it right, I know I'll be happy with a functioning T96.
It's just old-fashioned, requires practice in an art that was probably
common in the 1940's and 1950's.

The car got a lot faster too, now that I'm in control of the gearbox, it
handles better than the comical leaning would make it seem, it's a
surprisingly nimble car. Unsprung weight up front is excellent, and not bad
for open rear.