Re: [Amc-list] 195.6/T5

> From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>> Subject: Re: [Amc-list] 195.6/T5> > Jim, the T-5 is similar to the SR-4 in dimensions. <snip>

> From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)> Subject: Re: [Amc-list] 195.6/T5> > my original idea for the plate had one side milled to leave a 4.25"> dia lip on the bellhousing side, to align the plate. it would have a> 4.85" dia recess for the tranny retainer on the back side and 4> pockets for the retainer bolt heads. and i think a 1/2" plate would> be thick enough for threads for the tranny bolts. they could be> helicoiled.> > frank, you should be in the perfect position to see how the t96/t14 and> sr4/t4/t5 patterns compare - your multipattern bell has both, right?

I'm going to combine a couple of replies here;  I think the SR4 adapting to a early six is a good idea, and one that could be an answer to some folks, but for myself I still like the idea of a T5 - they have alot of advantages, are relatively common, and there's nothing like an extra gear!  I've been doing some internet searches and came up with this website:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/349.shtml

Look at all the 7.85" applications listed; it shows some 5.0 applications as well - all '94-5.  The V8 versions are up to 310 ft-lb rating, not that that's an issue here as even with a turbo, I doubt you'd hurt a 265 ft-lb rated trans.  They are all 3.35 1st gears, but the other gears vary a little bit.  I'd bet you could mix'n'match and build a 7.85" input shaft with some better suited gears if you wanted to get into it that much - not sure I do.  I also found a link to a manual transmission rebuilder with good prices here in Florida - might be worth a call.

If an adapter could be built for the 195.6, it should fit all the early AMC sixes, correct?  Seems to me that would be a great help.  I love the old Ramblers, but not afraid to update them as needed (as long as that doesn't include a "brand X" engine).

Jim Boone
Mims, FL