Re: [Amc-list] 195.6/T5

" From: Jim Boone <fljab@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" > From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx
" >
" > Jim, the T-5 is similar to the SR-4 in dimensions. <snip>
"
" > From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
" >
" > my original idea for the plate had one side milled to leave a 4.25"
" > dia lip on the bellhousing side, to align the plate. it would have a
" > 4.85" dia recess for the tranny retainer on the back side and 4
" > pockets for the retainer bolt heads. and i think a 1/2" plate would
" > be thick enough for threads for the tranny bolts. they could be
" > helicoiled.
" >
" > frank, you should be in the perfect position to see how the t96/t14 and
" > sr4/t4/t5 patterns compare - your multipattern bell has both, right?
"
" I'm going to combine a couple of replies here;  I think the SR4 adapting
" to a early six is a good idea, and one that could be an answer to some
" folks, but for myself I still like the idea of a T5 - they have alot of
" advantages, are relatively common, and there's nothing like an extra
" gear!  I've been doing some internet searches and came up with this
" website:
"
" http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/349.shtml

this looks familiar...  must be one of the pgs i scarfed when i was
noodling the adapter...

" Look at all the 7.85" applications listed; it shows some 5.0
" applications as well - all '94-5.  The V8 versions are up to 310 ft-lb
" rating, not that that's an issue here as even with a turbo, I doubt
" you'd hurt a 265 ft-lb rated trans.  They are all 3.35 1st gears, but
" the other gears vary a little bit.  I'd bet you could mix'n'match and
" build a 7.85" input shaft with some better suited gears if you wanted
" to get into it that much - not sure I do.  I also found a link to a
" manual transmission rebuilder with good prices here in Florida - might
" be worth a call.

afaik all 3.35 input shafts swap, but the tooth count on the 2.95
inputs is different and i don't think there's one that's 7.85".  imho
about the best you can do without a complete teardown is an
aftermarket 0.80 5th.  while you're in there, i'd also install the
5speeds.com cluster stabilizer, for longevity.  you'll be swapping for
an s10 tailshaft housing, right?  to get a fwd shifter loc with the
best chance of clearing a bench seat.

the s10 shifter, which i assume is relatively long by modern car
standards, could also be just what an old rambler needs.

" If an adapter could be built for the 195.6, it should fit all the early
" AMC sixes, correct?  Seems to me that would be a great help.  I love the
" old Ramblers, but not afraid to update them as needed (as long as that
" doesn't include a "brand X" engine).

it should fit anywhere a t96 was used, even studebakers and 2wd cj3s!

the input shaft length could be a stumbling block for adapting an sr4
- i originally suggested the '94-up mustang t5 because of its extra
~2/3" length, and collected intelligence that says the multipattern
bell will take a t14/t96 or '83-'93 ford 5.0 t5.