Re: [Amc-list] power steering boxes

Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 19:01:37 -0800 (PST)
I've installed a 79 Concord box on a 63 Classic (same chassis as the 66). It's not to hard. The lowest mounting hole on the newer model PS box (three bolt mount) aligns perfectly with the lowest one on the old model manual steering box. Put that bolt in then align the box with the steering column. Drill holes through the chassis rail for the other bolts. The highest bolt will actually go OVER the chassis rail, but just over it. On that one I used a piece of 1/2" rigid electrical conduit for a spacer. I also used the 1/2" thick spacer that came off the Concord, but you can make that if necessary. It was real easy to use the spacer as a hole drilling guide --much easier than using the box! A Jeep XJ Cherokee has the same box.

The pitman arm can be a problem. The taper on the Classic is different than that of the Concord. I made a sheet metal spacer and used the Concord arm, since it's approximately the same length as the Classic arm. I'm not positive, but a 65-66 Classic PS pitman arm may fit the newer boxes. AMC switched over to the GM PS box in 65 -- 63-64 models use a "cross ram" type that uses a manual steering box connected to a hydraulic cylinder which replaces the drag link.

-----------------
From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] power steering boxes

how well will a say jav power steering box go on a 62
or a 65 classic? i would have to build a bracket to
mount it, but what about mounting to drag link? how
different are the ball joints?

also installing a new steering shaft i am aware of.
trying to make up as many excuses i can to put in
power steering over how much of a pain it will be to
do.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"