Re: [Amc-list] bonneville salt flat rambler??? (YES!!)

Craig Breedlove made some Bonneville runs in the "American Spirit", a three wheeled piston engine powered car sponsored by AMC, in October of 1968. Three different engines were used in the same chassis -- one was Navarro's fuel injected turbo six. The six was 182.2 inches, a 290 was bored to 294.5 inches, and a 390 was destroked to 373.5 inches. The engines were used to run for class B (305.0-488.0 cid), C (183.0-304.9 cid), and D (122.0-182.9 cid). The only known results are that the class B record was broken at 407.45 mph (61.70 mph faster than the previous 67 record).

--------------------------
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:30:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Greg Taylor <amundaza@xxxxxxxxx>

Jim Lange has the fastest Stude at Bonneville and there is another one very close second.  Both run over 200 MPH.  Jim's is a twin turbocharged Stude 304 in an Avanti.

  There is a possibility that Barney Navarro had really fast Ramblers at Bonneville, but I don't fully recall.  He might have had the Indy Rambler 196 turbo car there ... again, memory not too clear on that.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"