Re: [Amc-list] bonneville salt flat rambler??? (YES!!)

-- Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Craig Breedlove made some Bonneville runs in the "American Spirit", a
> three wheeled piston engine powered car sponsored by AMC, in October of
> 1968. Three different engines were used in the same chassis -- one was
> Navarro's fuel injected turbo six. The six was 182.2 inches, a 290 was
> bored to 294.5 inches, and a 390 was destroked to 373.5 inches. The
> engines were used to run for class B (305.0-488.0 cid), C (183.0-304.9
> cid), and D (122.0-182.9 cid). The only known results are that the class
> B record was broken at 407.45 mph (61.70 mph faster than the previous 67
> record).

Cool, thanks. It makes sense that it would be the injected
(750hp) motor he'd use. (I have one of the older single turbo
motors; Marino said that the big motor has dual bolt bearin caps,
mine's stock).

The 199 plus turbo junk has got to be a lot lighter than a V8
for the same HP level.

It also calls into question just how many engines were built.
Breedlove ran the big Navarro six in October 68; the Indy 500
was that next May, 1969, the last time car #50 ran, with the
"same" motor. Plenty of time for a teardown, but maybe Navarro
used a fresh motor that May. Then there'd be at least two of
that particular motor.

Where'd they all go...