Re: [Amc-list] How about no fuel at all?

For you guys buying new shop tools, this applies to those as well! Air is one of the least efficient methods of powering tools. Electric (corded or battery) are more efficient as far as power use. So why are air tools so prevalent? They tend to be lighter since you don't have a heavy electric motor or batteries to carry around. The  "cord" (air hose) is a bit heavier and stiffer though. I buy electric when the tool won't be to bulky to use around the shop and has enough power. Has made me re-think buying a bigger compressor, but there are some things (like painting) that you have to have a compressor for, and once you have a decent compressor may as well use it... even if it does cost a bit more to operate. Air tools generally are cheaper once you take the cost of the compressor and hose out of the equation, but when you factor that in electrics still come out on top cost wise.

-------------------
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 05:56:16 +0000
From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx

The point is that at the current price of even nuclear electric it is not effective to compress air to power a car.
The electric is put to more efficient use if it simply powers electric motors from battery banks in the car.
Using the electric to compress air is more costly than charging batteries.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"