Re: [Amc-list] STALL CONVERTOR IN 1978 CHEROKee

Re: [Amc-list] STALL CONVERTOR IN 1978 CHEROKee

Since it's going to be a daily driver, keep it near stock stall speed.  No sense wasting the rpm's on a performance converter that will waste power at lower RPM's on the street/off-road.

  A good place for more feedback is over on the FSJ-list.

  Sincerely,
  Greg Taylor :)  <><

Zee Man <z_man401@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Listers,

I was contemplating putting my 401 out of my Gremlin in my Cherokee. I would like some recommendations on choosing the right convertor. While I wont be racing the pig, it just needs to get out of its own way. The current 401 cam is 222-232 @ .050 duration with 513in 538ex. My current stall was a TCI Breakaway for the 727. This convertor just never felt right for my combo in the Gremlin.. Maybe just not high enough. I believe my tire diameter was 26in with 3:73 gears and a 727 TC..3180lbs.. My Cherokee Chief weighs plenty , currently has 3:73's with 31's ,but it may see 33's or 35's in the future...Anyway I am pretty sure its a turbo 400 transmission. It will spend most of its life on road as my daily driver.

So does anyone have any experience or recommendations for this combo?

Rob

78 Cherokee Chief 360
04 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon