Re: [Amc-list] t14 to t96 overdrive

-- Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx <Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Oh, I can't help but say, Cut the firewall ! Or put a 3.7 or some such
> short motor in it. I'd not go to the work of swapping just to gain the
> FORD six...
> A 3.7 overhead cam motor would be cool! I wonder if it would fit!

Not familiar with a "3.7". Who makes it?

The pre-64 American has a difficult engine compartment. It's tiny! I added
radiator overflow, a resistor for the Pertronix epoxy coil, and had to move
an overdrive relay to install a windshield washer resevoir! No more room!
It's REALLY SMALL in there.

Considering everything (engine, trans, mounts, transmissions, rear,
driveshaft, etc) I doubt I'd swap anything, I'd simply build a 195.6OHV.
Pistons seem to be the only part difficult to find, and when you include
the expense and hassle of fitting non-American stuff in there, I can't
believe it's not simply easier, cheaper and more reliable to stick with
soemthin close to stock.

This much is certain: change the motor, and you must change everything back
through the rear tires. If you want simply "stock replacement" eg. a mild
Ford 200, you could adapt to the original rear; for much more torque than
stock the trans and rear have to go.

And if it's a Twin-Stick car, you lose a major coolness factor for the car.