[Amc-list] why "upgrade"? was Re: t14 to t96 overdrive

[Amc-list] why "upgrade"? was Re: t14 to t96 overdrive

I'm all for -- if you are driving and old car, it should drive like an old
car. OK scary brakes and crappy tires must go, etc, but utterly modernizing
an old car -- what's the point? Get a modern car!

I'm growing to love the way this American+195.6OHV+Twin-Stick behaves. Its
a bridge to the deep past; you drive this car very differently than later
cars, or even the 63 big car. It is happy lugging at 10mph in top gear in
traffic. Non-synchro first doesn't even matter any more, only occasionally
at stoplights, and there's workarounds.

I'm still babying the drivetrain since the trans is a mess and the engine
actually unknown, etc. But yesterday I had to do some dimwit dueling in a
parking lot and this car proved quite able to deal with modern traffic.

Pulling out of a spot at my local cafe, an SUV is behind me, coming into
the lot from the left is some brainstem piloting a blacked-out BMW, from
the right an overpaid incompetent in a Lexus/MB/Porch mini-SUV, both
deadlocked in indecision caused by an utter inability to navigate --
theboth kept peering forward as if they weren't sure if they were going to
fit between me and each other. The little American leaped more than quick
enough through the maze of dimwits, in a tight and fast "S", down the 100
ft to the intersection with Glendale Blvd, very busy rush-hour traffic,
where the fat tires and "big" 9x2.5 brakes (sic) did actually stop on a
dime (dollar, with inflation).

The secret is I think as I said before, the 3.77 axle and manual trans.
With an auto and around 3:1 this car would suck for performance.