Re: [Amc-list] 232 with standard trannie

Re: [Amc-list] 232 with standard trannie

> Why does it seem there are rumors going around that the 232 only came
> with an automatic stuck up against it?  Someone recently made a comment
> at a local cruise that the 232 NEVER came with standard transmission.

AMC was exactly the same as everyone else in this area.

I think the general rule is, the number of and ubiquity of automatic
transmissions increased after WWII. Somewhere between 1955? and 1970?
american cars went from "mostly manuals" to "mostly automatics".

While autos are more complex, I think they are probably cheaper as a system
to install and maintain, if you consider manufacturing, adjustment,
maintenance and customer complaints. The complexity is all inside the case,
as opposed to linkages, clutches, shifters, pedals, etc.

Front-wheel-drive took this another step further, they make a driveline
unit and bolt it under the car. Other than a flat floor pan and weight it's
mostly for manufacturers convenience.