Re: [Amc-list] : lack of power and backfire

A: Sounds like cam walk (even with a new chain it can happen)
clogged carb (the BBD I overhauled last week was the same way),
valves too tight (usually run into that with early Japanese cars),
or the electric pump is too close to the carb and not feeding enough gas.
Probably other things possible (point gap too tight, condenser dying)
If it has power brakes, the master may be dripping fluid into the
booster, which only gets inhaled by the motor after certain RPMs.

From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] lack of power and backfire
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

new timing chain, new timing gears. new lifters, new
pushrods. rebuilt carb. new springs on the mech
advance. it is free and moving. the vacume advance is
working also and holds vacume pressure on my vacume
tester.

it has power up untill 1500-1800 or so rpm's. then it
falls flat, and rpms drop SEVERLY. if i feather the
throttle just bearly, i can get it back up to 1500 or
so. still not enough to barely move it up my driveway
going forward. forget it in reverse. i have adjusted
the distributor many times. not much difference in it.
gettin frusterated.

dave stohler