Re: [Amc-list] 232 with standard trannie

That should read the early 232 came out before 5 speeds. So far I have seen 2 Spirits with 232/5 speed (both are '82 like mine)

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] 232 with standard trannie
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Must have been a Chevy guy telling you that! Just like all other US cars, there weren't as many manual trans models sold as autos from about the mid 60s on. Prior to about 66 the three speed manual was dominant over the auto. 232s got every type of transmission AMC ever offered behind it. Never got a five speed, as the 232 was dropped before AMC offered five speed manuals, but did get the SR4 four speed. Last 232 was made in 1979, 1978 was the first year for the SR4 four speed option. You can stick a T-5 behind one, or anything that a 258 or 4.0L has been bolted to.

I can only thing of one engine ever used in an AMC that you couldn't get a manual transmission with. That was the 55-56 Packard V-8 used in the big Nash and Hudson models. They were all equipped with Packard Ultramatic auto trans, no manual option.