Re: [Amc-list] Amc-list Digest, Vol 11, Issue 24 t14 to t96 overdrive

Re: [Amc-list] Amc-list Digest, Vol 11, Issue 24 t14 to t96 overdrive

> So my intetions now are to swap a jeep 4.0, cut the firewall
> on my 25,000mi. 63 breadbox convt. and give both trannys to my notable
> friend for his 53 hudson jet.

Yeah, a modern six in that car would be spectacularly great. Have you
planned it out at all? All I did was a quick check with a tape measure, and
it looks like you need five inches !! more room to fit the late six. Others
have thought of this; some have done similar things including brand-C V8s.

As Frank and others point out, engine WIDTH! is a problem. Manifolds, but I
wonder about oil filter (remote it). The 63-71 six may be a better choice,
as the older bellhousing pattern is narrower, and coincidentally, the same
as the 196.6 pattern. Not that that helps much since you have to jam it
back 5"!

> He has the Hollander interchange books
> which gave me great insight into wy AMC failed. They put 99% new parts in
> every car every year.

Really? AMCs interchangability looks pretty good up through the late 60's.
The early 60's American is different from the "big car" it seems mainly
because it's a Nash Rambler and the Classic and Ambo are "true"
AMC-designed cars.

Truly no offense meant to the Hudson, but it at least partly failed because
it DIDN'T change! Quality in the early AMCs is noticably better than the
70's cars too, I'm sad to point out.