Re: [Amc-list] Amc-list Digest, Vol 11, Issue 24 t14 to t96 overdrive

Re: [Amc-list] Amc-list Digest, Vol 11, Issue 24 t14 to t96 overdrive

" From: M Walter <redamc1963@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
"
" I have a t96 w/ od.  I don't use the od because it interferes with
" the Hurst shifter that i put into it.  I've found out the hard
" way thet once a rambler American column shift goes bad, it stays
" bad.  While I miss shifting with the flick of the pedal or touch
" of the clutch, the straight three speed on the floor is far more
" desirable.  Especially when turning left out of a busy
" intersection with the column shift unable to grab any gear and
" your life flashes before your eyes.

oh yeah, i know about that shifting!

another option would be the cane shifter setup sprouting from the
tranny top on jeep t96 and t14.  can't get more direct than that,
though you'd have to get the torch out and bend the shifter stalk for
a sedan fit.

" I have a t14 to put in, but the long parent shaft (that I could cut
" off to make to fit) and the fact I have yet to find a yoke to fit
" the harlot have prevented me fron making the switch.

what's a 'parent shaft'?

i'm guessing your t14 is a later style with fine spline output.  afaik
this is the same as a tf904; i used a yoke from a '74-ish hornet.  it
fit right up to my '68 driveshaft too.  if it's an earlier style t14,
the t96 yoke you now have should fit.

if you mean the rear yoke, i -believe- that if you swapped pinion -
and ring too, as they're a set - to a later non-big-nut style, you
could then use a conventional rear yoke and cut say a hornet shaft to
fit.

if the big nut pinion is tapped for the retaining bolt [not sure of
this], you might even get away with just putting a conventional yoke
on it, even though it's longer than a regular pinion.  afaik splines
are the same.

" So my intentions now are to swap a jeep 4.0, cut the firewall on my
" 25,000mi. 63 breadbox convt. and give both trannys to my notable
" friend for his 53 hudson jet.

you want to stay all-amc?  or just get something newer?  the ford
200/250 is a better physical fit, and there are some very interesting
speed parts for it - many from australia, where it was a mainstay
engine.