[Amc-list] backfire and lack of power

anybody have an idea of what my problem could be?
65 classi with 287/auto
when i put it in gear (any gear) i have very little
power. can barely pull up my driveway. will only get
to about 1500 rpm or so, and falls flat on its face.
sometimes it will backfire and die. i have fooled with
the timing advanced and retarded. carb was rebuilt
also. burns REALLY rich. im thinking the carb is bad.
not sure tho.
also, when i put it in gear, give it throttle, rpms go
up, feels like it wants to pull a little bit, get it
up higher, and it feels like it is "jerking" into
gear. on flatter ground it will go. havent had it up
above about 25-30 mph however. once it is going, it
feels like it shifts ok.

would love to drop in a 327 4v 4 speed. i want to make
this car eventually into a 60's super stock replica. i
have a t89/od if anyone wants to trade. ;-)

dave stohler
http://picasaweb.google.com/das24rules