Re: [Amc-list] backfire and lack of power

-- d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> anybody have an idea of what my problem could be?
> 65 classi with 287/auto
> when i put it in gear (any gear) i have very little
> power. can barely pull up my driveway. will only get
> to about 1500 rpm or so, and falls flat on its face.
> sometimes it will backfire and die. i have fooled with
> the timing advanced and retarded. carb was rebuilt
> also. burns REALLY rich. im thinking the carb is bad.
> not sure tho.

Has it ever run well? If so, what changed?

I'm not being mean, have you simply set the timing to the TSM setting, not
advanced or retarded? Is the firing order right? Had the distrib out
recently? Did U get #1 lined up? Does mech. adv. work? Does vac. adv. work?
Both are easily checked.

Get all that right, no point testing anything when there's multiple
variables!

I recently got a distributor ROTOR! that was too short to reach the cap
electrodes; it idled OK but wouldn't rev! The gap was over 1/8".

If this is points make damn sure they're good and the condenser is right,
and good. The condenser is critical. Got a good 12V supply to the coil or
resistor?

If the plugs are wet and/or sooty with the ignition all good then it's
likely carb.