[Amc-list] Some progress and questions (long)

[Amc-list] Some progress and questions (long)

First, I have been working on a 94 Olds Cutlass Sierra
(another orphan car at least, but not an AMC).  I
bought this car from my neighbor and it had a severe
coolant leak which I traced to a corroded freeze plug
on the back side of the V6 block.  Have you ever tried
to replace one of these in a FWD car?  Not easy.  I
had to use an expandable rubber plug because there was
no room to drive a brass plug into the hole.  I drove
the old plug into the block and could not extract it
so I left it in the cooling passage.  I hope that
won't be fatal to the engine, but it will be our
little secrect because I intend to sell the car soon.
I also replaced a coolant bleed fixture (steel) with a
junkyard part.  That pipe had suffered from poor
maintenance.  The PO used plain water in the cooling
system after the antifreeze leaked out, leading to
fairly widespread corrosion of many steel parts.  I
replaced all of the PCV hoses with good junkyard hoses
too. These are all factory parts with special rubber
ends that it is easier to get from the junkyard than
to try to find at the dealer.   New oxygen sensor too,
since I was working on the back side of the engine
anyway.   Next I need to fix the power window on the
driver's door and detail the car before selling it.
The PO had two little girls who must have been allowed
to eat crackers every day in the car.  Never saw so
many crumbs, toys, and hair barrette beneath the
seats.

Then on to the 65 Rambler sedan with the 196 OHV
engine I mentioned in an earlier post.  The engine is
out of the car and mostly stripped.  I'll take the
block to the machine shop next week.

Next, I sold some Rambler parts to a guy from Soquel
last night who has a 59 Rambler Classic.  It currently
has the OHV six.   He wants to put a 287 or 327 V8 in
it.  What will need to be changed to fit the V8?
Would a more "modern" AMC V8 be easier to install?

TIA,
Joe Fulton