Re: [Amc-list] Gaskets seals and looking good

-- Armand Eshleman <aje1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Took out the heater core box this afternoon........
> heater core looks good.
> all the seals and gaskets look shot........
> went to the local hardware store to see what might work.....
> nothing- nadda- not a bleepin thing.........

I just did this myself. I use good quality foams for this. Not
seat-stuffing stuff, but closed-cell foams like neoprene ($$$ but I got
some surplus cheep). There's a white urethane-like foam that's fairly
common. Hardware store didn't have tank or pipe insulation? That plus
silicone rubber to make it airtight.

On the 63 AMerican I use the neoprene surplus foam. I just cut easily
formed L's and rectangular sections and "stuffed" it neatly to seal, with
some clear silicone on the pieces to make it air tight. Sounds sloppy, but
looked nice. On the Hornet I used the hardware store white closed-cell
plastic foam. Again cut sheets and rectangles, but here, I had to silicone
the pieces together (masking tape til it cured) due to the shape of the
box, then install the box the next day.

> the
> door gaskets in the heater plenum,

That's a tougher one. No solution there.

> the firewall seals around the heater core connections, the blower gaskets,
> pretty much all of that stuff
> under there.

My current trick is simply a fat bead of silicone rubber. Let it skin over
so you can reliably touch it and press it lightly, but not fully cure. Then
a smear or silicone grease on the mating face so it doesn't adhere.
Assemble. The silicone conforms perfectly, will adhere to the part but not
to the mating surface. You can putty-knife it off later.

I do that for all these sorts of things that want a gasket to keep
under-hood hot air, water, etc out but aren't near lubes.

With Bruce Hevner's suggestion for the hi-temp red silicone (let it cure 24
hours before install) I use it now on exhaust manifolds. Some of these
chemicals are actually good! :-)