Re: [Amc-list] 68 engine paint color

Greg,

I was out of town this week and didn't see an answer
to your question so here goes.

The correct engine paint codes can usually be found at
www.autocolorlibrary.com for ppg paint.  You might
find references to dupont color codes if you can get
the 1968 dupont color chips or check with a Dupont
jobber.  I've had good luck with the Seymour spray can
paint sold by the AMC vendors, but if you're trying to
be accurate, you should definitely check the color
code called out on the paint chip sets.

One can of spray paint will actually do an engine but
in my experience it will take ALL of one can, so buy
two because you'll want to touch up things.  You don't
need to primer an engine, but just make sure you get
all of the oil and grease off of if before painting.
Priming doesn't hurt though.  The finish coats will
probably flow out more smoothly over primer than bare
metal.

One other comment.  Another source for any color code
of PPG paint, including lacquer (which you can't buy
off the shelf here in CA anymore) is Tower paint at
www.towerpaint.com (I think).  I bought the engine
paint and interior lacquers for my 66 Rambler American
from them.   It comes in premixed spray cans and is
not cheap but it sure is convenient.

Joe Fulton