[Amc-list] Jeep ammeter problem

My J-10 alternator has quit charging, nothing showing on the ammeter -- discharge or charge, it sits at zero. Does this indicate a bad ammeter? Everything else electrical seems to work fine, I just have to charge the battery every few days (just using it for local errands in day-time). If it is the ammeter, I should be able to just disconnect it and splice the two wires, or simply put both wires on one of the studs, effectively using it as a splice, correct?

---------------
Date: Fri,  9 Nov 2007 00:28:52 -0700
From: Ken Ames <ameskg@xxxxxxxxx>

If it won't even crank, check the wiring at the back of the ammeter.
A loose wire there will kill just about every circuit. My J10 started but no
charge showing on the ammeter and the radio was cutting in and out. I knew
something was wrong so I drove home and after I shut it off it wouldn't do
anything - no radio, no crank, no nuthin'.

Ken Ames

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"