Re: [Amc-list] lite weight alum. conformable propane tank

Re: [Amc-list] lite weight alum. conformable propane tank

> 1. lpg is under pressure, but -way- less than the gases you mention,
>    perhaps 10% or less.  someone mentioned 150 psi; i'm not sure it's
>    even that much.

If I recall correctly (it's lookupable) the tanks vent liquid at 150psi for
safety; that's the defined maximum operating pressure. It's a simple
relationship temperature vs. pressure. I had a tank vent once, very noisy!

I think tanks are certified for 350 psi. It's a liquified gas, not a
high-pressure gas like weldin gases.

> 2. don't these tanks have to be certified as safe before they can be
>    marketed?

As approved vehicle tanks, yes. But morons sell crap all the time! :-)

I think it's that no one has done any new design in LB tanks for a long
time, and places like Manchester have ha a de facto monopoly, and "get away
with" klunky, heavy steel tanks and high prices. 3/16" wall cylindrical
steel tanks OUGHT TO BE dirt cheap, but they're not! A little competition
would do them some good.

If these new folks had a 45+ gallon oval tank I'd consider replacing mine
again. I gutted the bottom of the spare-tire compartment to fit the huge
cylindrical tank; if I could "stretch" the cylinder into an oval I could
get another 20 gallons in there. Now THAT would be great!! Weight would
matter... but LP is only 4 lbs/gallon (gas 6, water 8)