Re: [Amc-list] windshield squirter location on an American

Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 18:36:10 -0800
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

-- Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > 1. Do you at least have a vacuum storage cannister? If not, get one of
> > the balls or better yet quart (or half gallon) "juice can" types.

> I didn't think it would make enough difference... but I guess I should try
> it.

It doesn't make a difference going down hill or steady cruising, but it
will lessen the effect of accelerating or going up a hill on wiper
speed. They still slow down a bit, but don't stop! Of course the overall
condition of the vac wiper motor has a bigger effect.
> > 2. I mean the brace that the hinges mount on -- the only one under there,
> > unless you count the two "truss rods" going out to the edges of the hood.
> > Be careful closing the thing and make sure the hinges are oiled good!

Duh, how did I ignore that brace? Yes, there's an oval in the middle; so
your AMerican squirter was in there?

I see your point about hinge oiling; I think I did, no problems with it,
but I'll check! It would suck to buckle the hood!

The squirter isn't inside that oval, though you'd think it should be! It's about an inch IN FRONT of the brace. Will check the two parts car hoods, don't recall if either have one since I never actually drove those cars.

I've had one or two that were buckled there -- yes, it sucks! It's hard to brace it from the inside without having to repaint the hood.

> > The newer gasket material probably allows the 15K interval,

I'll probably do it annually. It doesn't even take an hour. The biggest
PITA is you gotta remove the carb on the two bbl. Looks like the 1bbl you
don't have to.

I don't recall removing the 2V carb, maybe I used a universal? Don't remember now, it's been to long and I'm not going to look it up!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"