Re: [Amc-list] Selling My Car (Bottom Line Period)

Re: [Amc-list] Selling My Car (Bottom Line Period)

My earlier advice to go to the bank with the buyer
still stands.  Having said that, I've bought and sold
quite a few cars (and airplanes) and have had some
interesting experiences.

I sold a Pontiac Parisienne which was a gift from my
Mom a few years ago.  Drove up to the potential
buyer's home and we made a deal for a fist full of
hundred dollar bills he was holding.  It was a few
hundred less than my asking price, but cash does have
a voice.

I sold a little Cessna I had bought to flip for a
profit.  The airplane was sitting at Santa Monica
Airport had not been flown or inspected for a couple
of years.  It was priced significantly under the
market price.  The tires were flat, battery dead, you
get the picture.  I washed it and aired up the tires
and put a battery in it and advertised it.  The
potential buyer came to look and I gave him the keys
so his mechanic could inspect the plane later than
week.  He liked the deal, so when we met to exchange
the paperwork and the money he wanted to give me a
personal check.  I laughed and asked for the keys.  He
said:  "Oh but I've already flown the plane to Van
Nuys and it's in my hangar."   He said he did want to
buy it and asked me to calm down.  We subsequently
went to his bank and got cashier's check.  I could not
believe the nerve of that guy.   He was from New York
by the way.  Be extra careful if the buyer is a New
Yorker.

Joe Fulton