Re: [Amc-list] Breadbox American 440H with Twin-Stick

-- Andy&Tonja&Phoebe&Miles Ray <raysinvegas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Tom, I've really been enjoying reading about your new found love of the
> mighty 196 with twin-stick! There are lots of nay-sayers, but you and I
> know the truth.

Amen! It's a sweet match; the 195.6OHV is very modest, but five forward
speeds (I thought Frank was slightly exaggerating; but it really is like a
5-speed in most ways) really helps. It's got to be less than 3000 lbs, but
instead of wonderin I'll drive it to the local scale (also one of my LPG
stops for the other Rambler) and MEASURE IT.

> I just finished the interior in my Rampart Red 64
> 440H/Twin-Stick and started driving it again after 4 months of garage
> life. I too have the "Power-Pac" 2 barrel, and with this light body I can
> easily scratch the tires at every light.

I haven't tried that, and probably won't until I've had my sticky fingers
on the clutch and inside the gearbox!

> The T-96 is what it is. I
> finally have a "good" one in the car but that will change soon. You see,
> I now have in my posession the super rare T-14 OD!!!

!! You better not let me know where it is... I might not be able to resist
temptation... :-) Well that will solve the car's single weakest link,
period. Very nice!

I have a T150+OD here, plus a vanilla T14. The 150+OD is about 12" longer
than the T96+OD, and I haven't even eyeballed input shaft.

Will the T14 mate up OK? I better mock up the parts I do have....

> I hope to have the
> swap completed before the AMCRC nationals in Seattle this July. Wanna
> caravan with me and a few buddies from Southern Nevada AMC? :)

I hadn't considered Seattle... but I will look at the calendar. I'm a grad
student now, and time off means conk out and sleep or, of course, Rambler
time...! But a road trip would be nice in this thing. I'd have to get more
confidence in it, but I can always take the Classic.