Re: [Amc-list] FW: T96 replacement therapy

Re: [Amc-list] FW: T96 replacement therapy

" From: M Walter <redamc1963@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
"
" ----------------------------------------
" > From: bbrinkerhoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
" >
" > Hello AMC fans, I have a couple of BW transmission questions.
" > First, I have a 1973 T14, and I cannot find a yoke to fit it. The
" > shaft looks nearly the same as the T96 but they don't match. Also, I
" > have an M12, which turns out to be an M11b, because of the oval tag
" > (so I'm told). But it didn't come with the torque converter. Does
" > this trans share converters with any others? I've read that is quite
" > similar to 60's Ford trannys. Any help would be greatly
" > appreciated. THANK YOU, Matthew Walter Traverse City, Mi.

in '72 they changed the output spline of the t14 to match the then-new
tf automatics.  i put a late-style t14 in my '68 american and used a
long yoke ['7"'] from some early/mid-'70s hornet.  it perfectly made up
the 2" difference of the t14 from the t96 and had the same u-joints as
my existing driveshaft.

the iron warners are indeed similar to the ford fx/mx/fmx family; they
share a common development heritage and some parts interchange.  front
pumps may be one, but that wouldn't guarantee that ford converters
would fit amc flexplates.  btw both m12s and fmxs were made and used
up to about '80.