Re: [Amc-list] old gas disposal

-- Mike Kindle <mike90066@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just read Tom's wps.com site on cleaning his gas tank.  I once had
> several gallons of ten year old gas in two liter coke bottles for months.
> We called it "the Bomb".  As in "at some point we're going to have to
> figure out what to do with the Bomb."  Eventually, we talked a local
> household hazardous waste round up event into taking it all.  They
> probably weren't supposed to. The next time I rescued a car I did some
> research and found you should slowly mix the old gas a bit at a time into
> each new tank of good gas you get and burn it up that way.  I ran it
> through coffee filters into gas cans and still couldn't bring myself to
> put it in my car.  Then one day I had to fill up before returning a
> rental. . .

OUCH!! :-)

The stuff I extracted left tarry goo on valve stems, fatally sticking them
requiring overhaul! I wouldn't put this crap in my tank even 8oz per 20
gallons. Many fillups later I still would have deposited a lot of goo!

I live on a converted commercial property. I "inherited" a 55 gal drum of
parts washin solvent with about 10 gal in it. The gas went in there. I have
no idea what to do with it, since no 55 gal drum is ever "household"!! I
almost need to make a custom garage heater to burn it, at least make mostly
CO2 and water from it, then dispose of the barrel.