-------------
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 20:26:27 -0700
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

Was AMC unique in offering "Twin Stick" overdrive? I know there were many
variations of drive systems other than straight up manual or auto
transmissions (Studebaker Hill-Holder, E-stick, etc), and overdrive has
been around nearly forever, but how many of them are as interesting?

I used to think it was just a marketing gimmick, eg. a lever instead of a
pull cable, but when I got this car and looked at the TSM it's obvious some
thought went into it.

The Twin-Stick hack is pretty nice. It involves a lot of convoluted logic,
and it looks like it could be very confusing when it goes wrong! (Stalling
upon accelleration, stall at over 28mph, ...!)

AND

It's my assumption that one good hole shot from a 327 would eat every gear, one by one, in one shot.

As far as I know, in that year (1963) the T96 was the only trans to get OD and especially Twin Stick. Is this incorrect?

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"