Re: [Amc-list] clutch questions

-- Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> If it's not exactly the same it will still fit. The transmissions I know
> for a fact interchange without changing the clutch -- I've used a T-96
> from a 62 or so Classic on a 61-62 American. I think the Classic disc
> might be a bit larger than the American.
>
> There were two sizes in 61-63 -- one for the standard trans and a larger
> diameter for E-stick. At least I thought the E-stick was larger. The 62
> TSM says it was a 9.125" disc. I thought the American only used a 9".

Like a lot of things, once I found the data the mysteries went away. The
Performance Clutch PDF catalog contains all the numbers. I found the PDF
with some google search, I saved a copy of it.

The SPECIFICATIONS section of the 63 01 TSM for non-E-stick in it's
entirety: "An 8 1/2" diameter clutch plate assembly is used with the L-Head
and O.H.V. Engines." There you go!

The Classic T96 clutch I have is 9". The Perf. Clutch catalog shows 8", 9"
clutches variously for the American. It seems almost certain without having
the parts in hand that the 9" will fit in the American.

> do recall that my flywheel was drilled for a larger diameter pressure
> plate than it had on it.

The flywheel I have in my iron pile is not double-drilled. Without that,
the 10" clutch can't possibly fit, as the bolt hole circle is only 10 5/8".
I won't know what's in the car 'til I pull it. I'll simply go with the 9"
American clutch.

> If I had known back then (it's been 20 years
> since I had a stick American) that the Classic disc was larger I'd surely
> have used it! No one I knew at the time knew much more than I did about
> Ramblers. I'm not saying they didn't exist, I just didn't know who to
> contact on short notice, like when I needed to replace the clutch on my
> only car.

Amen. Our cars would all be scrap without the internet! I only found out
that a '70 232 would not fit in the '63 Classic when I had it down in the
car! Sounds dumb today, but without others around it was impossible. Lucky
for me I knew Kyle something, down in San Jose, business name I can't
recall (long gone), and I took Caltrain from San Fran and came back with a
front X-member! Ahh, the bad old days.