Re: [Amc-list] clutch questions

-- Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've got a "J" sitting here at the house. It has a larger input bearing
> and slightly larger main shaft inside, but it uses the same clutch disc.
> AMC was the only manufacturer to use it as far as I can tell, and it was
> only made the last couple years the T-96 was used (~70-72 range). It's
> one tough cookie to find parts for!!

Wow, I can imagine! Does the synchro last any longer though?

You said you stuck a classic T-96 in an American? Did you just swap the
tailshaft housing? is the output shaft exactly the same (splines and final
seal)?

Mine's old style, four-point mounts, I forget if the rears are on the trans
or the bellhousing and I'm too lazy (and clean) to crawl under the car
tonight to look.

I'm fine now with this dimwitted old T-96. I'm doing heel'n'toe to blip the
throttle to do 3-2 downshift. If I wanted a new car I'd buy one :-)

Surprise! Clutch stopped slipping! It's not that weird -- besides rust or
glaze, it probably literally had a mouse nest in it. Spun that out with
driving I guess. I didn't and won't push my luck though, I just got it near
its power band in 3rd and floored it up a hill, no slippage. There were
mouse nests all over, including one in a frame rail (I have to shop vac
that one out.) Not that I trust it to last, but I at least got a reprieve.
It always operates perfectly, Throwout bearing is silent, pedal fine, if
high, smooth no chatter. Eh, I'm driving it. Will buy a clutch next payday
or the one after, and watch ePay in the mean time for bargains.