Re: [Amc-list] clutch questions

" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" Man, am I glad I have an iron pile.
"
" Long ago I collected a T-96/OD (torque tube) for who-knows-what project,
" and I sensibly saved the old flywheel, friction disc, and pressure plate.
" I'm reasonably certain it came from a Classic, 195.6, this should be the
" same clutch in the Americans, right?
"
" If so I have parts to ID replacements with. The pressure plate was rebuilt
" once; surface rust on the friction surface but OK. Disc has meat left on it.
"
"
" It's 9.25" across (disc and 'plate driving area), 10-spline. I'm unsure how
" spline shafts are measured, eg. some data says '1-1/8" 10 spline' but how
" is that measured -- simply the outside diameter of the trans input shaft as
" if it didn't have splines?
"
" So I assume the generic name for this is a '9 inch clutch, 10 spline'. Is
" it likely that there are other 10-spline shafts with different diameters?
"
"
" Late AMCs with 4-cyls use a 9" clutch. All of the driven discs seem to be
" 14 teeth, but will the pressure plate fit? The old 9" clutch has 6 bolts
" 10-5/8" apart (biggest space between measured like wheel lugs).

this is a standard pattern.  the bolts are 5/16".

afaik the old pp you want was used up into the mid/late '70s at least,
with 15/16" * 10-spline disks on the t96 and t14 and 1 1/16" *
10-spline disks on the t150, all 9 1/8" dia.  you'd want perfection
rcf658 disk and ca1676 pp or equivalent.  t/o brg is their st771 and
pilot bushing is st1632.

the jeep pp is perfection ca1914; no idea if it'd fit.  it may just be
a diaphragm type equivalent to the old borg & beck.

[t86, t89, -jeep- t14, t15, and t10 are 10 spline * 1 1/8"].

afaik splines are measured across their outside diameter.

for a hd clutch, try 10" disk rcf446 with mopar-app pp ca1525 or
equiv; this fits the '9"' bolt pattern but needs socket head
capscrews, and uses the same t/o brg.

btw perfection lists all the early disks as 10 spline by -1"- even
though the warner inputs are actually 15/16".