Re: [Amc-list] clutch questions

From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
> Man, am I glad I have an iron pile.
>
> Long ago I collected a T-96/OD (torque tube) for who-knows-what project,
> and I sensibly saved the old flywheel, friction disc, and pressure plate.
> I'm reasonably certain it came from a Classic, 195.6, this should be the
> same clutch in the Americans, right?

Most likely, I'll leave it to the parts book guys to be 100% sure though.

> If so I have parts to ID replacements with. The pressure plate was rebuilt
> once; surface rust on the friction surface but OK. Disc has meat left on it.

well, true RM requires you just put it in and see if it is any good!
  I had an uncle who is now gone [I miss him] He would always take the trans out
Take a look at things. If the disc was to the rivets He would scuff things up
put in a new disc and release bearing, put it back together and go.
More often then not he got away with it too!

> It's 9.25" across (disc and 'plate driving area), 10-spline. I'm unsure how
> spline shafts are measured, eg. some data says '1-1/8" 10 spline' but how
> is that measured -- simply the outside diameter of the trans input shaft as
> if it didn't have splines?

Yep, 1-1/8" shaft diameter... 10 splines... Not sure if the spline width ever varied.
I think It is just an even division to wrap the shaft!

> So I assume the generic name for this is a '9 inch clutch, 10 spline'. Is
> it likely that there are other 10-spline shafts with different diameters?

Yeah, there are other diameters out there, I doubt if the T-96 ever used them though.
Someone will tell me I'm wrong!

> Late AMCs with 4-cyls use a 9" clutch. All of the driven discs seem to be
> 14 teeth, but will the pressure plate fit? The old 9" clutch has 6 bolts
> 10-5/8" apart (biggest space between measured like wheel lugs).

Yeah, there is a very good chance it will, there were not too many variances
in pressure plate paterns over the years. You should be able to do a quick comparison
if you find a parts store with on in stock.

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV