Re: [Amc-list] Subject: Pressing Hubs

-- Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> There is a good possibility of
> warping the drum by driving or pressing it off the hub. The assumption
> was it wouldn't be pressed off unless being replaced anyway.

Yeah I neglected to say that. When drums are not 30, 40 years old they can
be removed without deforming the drum. That small-hole-drill trick I first
did on my 62 Ambassador in the late 1970's; one of our machinists
recommended it. It was on a rear drum, but it came off and was turnable
afterwards.

When I removed the hubs from the American recently, they were not being
reused, and not in great shape. They did warp from being frozen onto the
hub. If I'd soaked with Aerokroil and been more subtle and taken more time
I am sure I could have got them off without harm. As they are I think I
could get them flat and concentric enouh to reuse if I wanted.