Re: [Amc-list] 62 classic strut rod bushings

Tom J. and I have both went through the same thing on our 63s. What will most likely happen to you too is that the strut rod will push through the front bushing. With the beveled piece cut off the bushing is severely weakened. What both of us did was get ONE polyurethane bushing and use the halves for the front only. Poly is much stronger and the strut rod won't push through, the rubber rear half lets the strut rod flex more than poly on both sides would. I do believe both of us used Moog parts also -- I did. This is what I did before modifying my strut rods. See Tom's website for photos of what happens: http://www.wps.com/AMC/Strut-bushing/index.html. Tom's site mentions 63-64, but 62 is the same (62 is the first year for the strut rod suspension). Scroll down on the page to "what doesn't work".

---------------
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 19:37:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>

well, i finally got my problem solved i THINK. i
ordered strut rod bushings for an 80 concord. moog
parts, so rubber should be ok. they just pull apart.
so pilled the rubber off the metal spacer. trimed the
beveled end off of the bushing. cut the little metal
spacer ring down the same width as the bushing. the
metal sleeve is a little bigger around than the strut
rod. i welded that sleve to the stock washers to hold
them im place. bolted it all together and so far
everything seems to work normal again. the back half
of the bushing was not there. the front half was only
about half left. i was in a hurry when i did this so i
did not get any pics. if anyone is interested in pics,
i can get some when i do the right side. as of right
now, the right side bushing is still just "ok" will be
a week or so till i will get around to replacing that
one.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"