Re: [Amc-list] Pressing Hubs

-- JOE FULTON <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Does anyone have any tips for pressing the hubs out of
> the front brake drums on a 65 Rambler American?  Do
> you have to heat the drums?

I set mine on a concrete floor, put a good chunk of 2x4 over the hub
(outside) end, and gently tap (eg. full arm swing) a 4lb hammer on it. It's
not subtle.

About half the time they grip really tight to the hub center protrusion. In
that case, I drill a small (1/16") hole right where the drum meets the hub,
eg. where the hub goes vertical -- and squirt Aerokroil in there. Wait a
minute, whack, comes right off. It's a close, non-interference fit, but
close, and rust glues them together.

Just did this to the 63 American. There, there was no crimping or
serrations around the lug nuts. On the 70 hornet hubs the shoulder of the
press-in lugnuts was slightly swaged to hold the drum down. I put new lugs
in that (and regretably sold the whole kaboodle on ePay), but the American
I left.

All will yield to Large Hammer! Wail! Wail!

I always leave my front drums loose (not swaged) on the hubs. I see no
downside. You have to pay slight attention to make sure the drum is sitting
on the hub when you bolt up the wheel. No big deal. On the American there
seems to be no provision for otherwise. Works for the rears, works for the
fronts. (One of my cars, I forget which, actually still has the little
1/4-20 bolts that holds the drum to the rear hubs.)