Re: [Amc-list] bummer -- ruined radiator post mortem

Re: [Amc-list] bummer -- ruined radiator post mortem

I've seen something similar on a 70's era 10 ton Ford dump truck one of
my uncles used to have. The water pump broke once and sent the fan
through the radiator. A year or so later, the idiot who was driving it
down-shifter the rear axle from high to low on the highway, blew the
engine (which seized), then the water pump broke and sent the fan most
of the way through the hood (the fan clutch got caught up on the hood
bracing which stopped it). I've got plenty of stories about that stupid
truck which was dang near indestructible.

I also talked to a guy at a cruise in once that had a cheapie chrome
alternator fan let loose and go through the hood. This happened not long
after it came back from a $15,000 paint job.

Matt

Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Wow, now that's one I haven't seen before, sure would explain things though!
>
> --
> Mark Price
> Morgantown, WV
> 1969 AMC Rambler, 4.0L, EFI, T-5
> " I was different before people dared to be different"

> From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
>> -- Jim Blair <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> A: Hopefully this catches you before you reassemble. My waterpump had a
>>> crack in it that wasn't easily evident. Ruined one rad and the mounts got
>>> blamed. Ruined a second and I was P!$$#D, so before I installed the
>>> third, I started the motor up and revved it. Whole front of the pump came
>>> off and played crack the whip! (got "nice" dents in the hood even!) That
>>> was on my J4000 with a nearly brand new pump!
>> DAMN! I never suspected that little bugger... in fact, there's a shiny
>> ring, say .050", around the shaft where it meets the outside of the
>> seal...! If that shaft came OUT of the impeller...! Yipes stripes, I will
>> test and/or remove that sucker to inspect before the rad goes in again.
>> Better safe and out one gasket than a !@!$!! radiator!
>>
>> Thanks for the hint.

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH