Re: [Amc-list] heater core (61-63 American)

Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 21:13:30 -0700
Unfortunately it's made from unobtanuium. The good thing is it's not really anything special. You just need a heater core with close to the same core size. You might have to move a neck though, which may mean drilling a tank and soldering or epoxying a neck in a different location. I probably have a spare used core, but no gurantees as to whether it leaks or not. I recall replacing one by matching with something from a radiator shop and moving a neck, but can't recall what the core was originally for. More than likely it's a leak in a tank seam though. JB Weld withstands up to 400 degrees, but I know you can solder! Where strength is concerned I've taken to soldering then epoxying over the solder. That works like a charm!

----------
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] heater core

Anyone have a source for heater cores for early Americans? Can't find a
reference. Of course mine let go on the floor the other day after I flushed
the system and installed sticky toxic juice.

Spelunking on NAPA and RockAuto shows no part for 63 or 66. I don't know if
64-up is the same, but it's not the same as 63 Classic or hornets. The
inlet and outlet are far apart on the 63 american; on the others they're
close together.

I'll ask the radiator shop when I get there...

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"