Re: [Amc-list] bummer -- ruined radiator post mortem

A: Hopefully this catches you before you reassemble. My waterpump had a crack in it that wasn't easily evident. Ruined one rad and the mounts got blamed. Ruined a second and I was P!$$#D, so before I installed the third, I started the motor up and revved it. Whole front of the pump came off and played crack the whip! (got "nice" dents in the hood even!) That was on my J4000 with a nearly brand new pump!

From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] bummer -- ruined radiator post mortem
To: AMC List <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Today I picked up my motor mounts from NAPA.

The front mounts in the car were totally fine. Not deformed and solid, they
didn't look more than a few years old.

The rear mounts were solid too, I jacked up the trans and they held. They
don't look that great externally but I don't have replacements.

(NAPA data says front and rear are the same, but that's only for auto trans
as Frank points out.)

I pried on the combo, and it does not shift in any other mysterious way.

I'll double-check when I get the re-cored radiator back, but it appears
that I ruined the radiator all by my lonesome self, by not tightening the
bolts. When I went over a bump, it shifted the 3/4" towards the fan which
caught it.