Re: [Amc-list] Hot Air, was California Smog Bill

Re: [Amc-list] Hot Air, was California Smog Bill

" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
"
" > " > 2. handheld gps is good enough
" > " I use a map, remember those, paper ewe! My conscession is to print them
" > out from mapquest and google!
" >
" > i prefer paper too.
" >
" > i go one farther and partially memorize the directions.  another trick
" > i learned long ago is to look for the street -before- the one you want
" > to turn on.  how many times do you realize you should've turned just
" > as you're passing the intersection?  spotting the previous street sets
" > you up.
"
"
" I'm not sure if this is good or bad -- googleearth is so profoundly
" spectacularly alien and weird that it's utterly changed the way I do long
" road trips.

i haven't used google much, because of their habit of sucking up every
keystroke you enter and building a profile of you they keep forever[*],
but i used mapquest extensively in planning my last two long trips.  i
refuse to slavishly follow their directions when i'm on familiar
ground [circumnavigating nyc on easter eve], and i chose to stay on rt
9 in the adirondacks rather than jump on the thruway and off again in
less than 10 miles.  it's very helpful in cutting the navigation
problem down to where i only have to fiddle with details.

* for firefox et al, there's a google anonymiser add-on -
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/743 - though you have
to go into its control panel and set it to anonymise.  it can also
clean ads up and peg security settings.  more privacy and security
enhancing add-ons at
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:1/cat:12?show=50
i've installed about 8 or 10 of them.