[Amc-list] Hot Air, was California Smog Bill

[Amc-list] Hot Air, was California Smog Bill

> " > 2. handheld gps is good enough
> " I use a map, remember those, paper ewe! My conscession is to print them
> out from mapquest and google!
>
> i prefer paper too.
>
> i go one farther and partially memorize the directions.  another trick
> i learned long ago is to look for the street -before- the one you want
> to turn on.  how many times do you realize you should've turned just
> as you're passing the intersection?  spotting the previous street sets
> you up.

I'm not sure if this is good or bad -- googleearth is so profoundly
spectacularly alien and weird that it's utterly changed the way I do long
road trips. (Road trips, meaning meanders through far flung undeveloped
areas, on the way to somewhere, or not.) With googleearth I've re-found
lost hot springs I'd been to before but was unable to decipher my own notes
on someone else's published directions ("7.3mi past intersection of...".
100 mile long valleys in eastern Nevada examined for likely hot spring
signs.

It's so good that having done low-angle fly throughs at 1000 foot altitude
that when I drive through the place, it's like havin pre-planted memories
of having driven there before. Very strange.

But I love paper maps too, and still bemoan the loss of all the good map
publishers (like Gousha), all swallowed up by Rand McNally and disappeared.
(None of the features that appeared on Gousha ever appeared on a Rand
McNally; clearly they just bought them to eliminate competition.)

> " > 3. no radio, never mind dvd
> " Radio SUCKS around these parts, college town you know, dvd is for the
> media/living room, not a wheeled 2 ton weapon of death if your watching
> while driving.

AM and a list of clear channel stations (not that evil corporation) is good
out west here. KTNN (The Navajo Nation) is a great listen when you're in
range (it's a clear channel station). AM makes a good lightning detector
too :-)

FM is mostly a toilet.

> even when there is a radio, i usually prefer something called
> 'conversation'.

Communist! How will anyone make money from that?! :-)

> the fewer gadgets my car has the better i like it.

Amen!