[Amc-list] Re; A front suspension idea!

SNIP
IIRC, the frame drops in front of the control arm mount area making it
impossible to get a flat plane to bolt in a lower control arm such as this
one.
SNIP
The Front part of the Control Arm would stay exactly where it is at the
present. There is no need to change it.
And no one has said that a plate has to be flat!
However the two bolts that hold the cross member on, could be used as some
form of a positioning reference.
Snip
Probably take a rack too.
Snip
But not important.

SNIP
Back to this bolt in lower assembly.
Your going to have ot crawl under the car and spec out where the front arm
pivot point needs to go.
Then see what it takes to put it there.
SNIP
No need to change the front, leave it where it is.
SNIP
Will it clear the steering?
SNIP
Not necessary to worry about it.
SNIP
Then will you be able to fit an existing swaybar?
SNIP
If the front portion of the lower control arm is exactly the same as
existing unit, no change in sway bar.
SNIP
Get the length of those Chev II lower arms and if they are the right length,
you could actually start with those!
SNIP
It is not hard to fabricate a lower control arm. The front pivot is located,
the Ball Joint position is located, all that is needed is to determine the
angle of the rear part of the control bar which in part would be determined
by the interfering parts if any. A lower control arm can be welded up out of
tube stock and re-enforcing plates using something of the same pivot that is
currently in use.
The trailing side of the control bar would be determined by seeing to it
that it was physically in line with the pivot point of the front side which
is mounted on a "cam" type adjustment bolt which could be duplicated for the
rear side too.
The mounting "plate" could be fabricated to be located by the two bolts that
hold the front crossmember and at least one of the bolts that holds the
existing strut rod mount and be gusseted as needed with a "cam" adjustment
in it too.
SNIP
Keep it as narrow as is safe, no I don't know what that is?!
SNIP
I don't either
but to the best of my knowledge, nothing says that a control arm has to be
uniform in dimension with the front portion equaling the rear portion.

Just noodling, but it sure is causing some intriguing thought to surface.
My thoughts do not see a need to address a coil over type of suspension as
there is nothing specifically wrong with existing configuration nor to
address the probability of incorporating a rack as there is no particular
need to do so.
Neither does the existing kit for Chevy applications, that is one of the
reasons the kit is listed for under $400.00 and for comparison purposes a
Mustang II suspension package starts at about $1200 from most places and
goes up. Including a Rack and Pinion Steering is extra!
John.