[Amc-list] XJ /was shocks

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
> " From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx
> "
> " I hope to keep this one for a very long time, though rust is starting to be an
> issue :[
>
> i've just gotten an xj, and before i put it on the road i'm getting
> deeply into rust killers/preventers.  i'm not done yet, but i've
> already learned a few things:

What'd you buy ?
I must of missed it if you mentioned it.

I need to do rocker preservation on "mine"...
It's bubbling and getting funky on the rear third on both sides.
I found a company that makes shape matching rocker rails out 3/16" steel, IIRC.
They attack with tapping screws and the company has pics of the entire Jeep being jacked up on them!
They come powder coated blac and don't look obtrusive or "off-roady".
The plan is to buy a pair of these, about $225+- and hold them up to the jeep and mark their outline on the rockers.
Then I'm going ot mask off inside of this line and strip and rust remove the area.
The I'm going to get a 3/4-1" hole saw and lighten the rear half of the rocker, :]
Once it's open I'll then decide on how much metal to remove and convert seal etc;
I'll install the rocker rails.

The other option is rocker replacement and I'm not intending to get that involved.

I would like to paint it and depending on my health maybe next year I'll loook into it further.
It's currently dark Blue metallic and has had some used car lot like paint work done in the past.
It's ten years old now and showing it's age, even where it's not been painted its seen better days.

It'll likely get an Earl Shibes or similar lowbuck spray on my prep.

I can't do it.
Even if I get a reduction in pain [seems possible right now]
I don't have the range of mobility in my right should I need to wield a spray gun anymore :[
Unless I panel painted it, possible if I get the time to do it.

I got to get the axle joints and e-brake cable in first though!

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV