Re: [Amc-list] XJ /was shocks

" From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx
"
"  -------------- Original message ----------------------
" From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
" > " From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx
" > "
" > " I hope to keep this one for a very long time, though rust is starting to be an
" > issue :[
" >
" > i've just gotten an xj, and before i put it on the road i'm getting
" > deeply into rust killers/preventers.  i'm not done yet, but i've
" > already learned a few things:
"
"
" What'd you buy ?

'94 se, 2dr 2wd 4.0 5sp, blue.  orginally from va and very clean, even
the door bottoms, except it's missing a large section of the driver's
floor.  the passenger's side is minty-fresh.

cost me $500.  new exhaust system; a/c doesn't work and blower only on
high...  paint is thin in a few places.  and a few other things.
between me and my mechanic i want to get this thing completely
shipshape before i put it on the road.  considering what i paid and
its overall shape, i'm budgeting up to $1000 for the work and
materials.  i think it'll be less, save maybe bedlining the floor and
underside.  it may not be practical to do the chassis though.

" I must of missed it if you mentioned it.

you missed nothing; i haven't mentioned it before now.

" I need to do rocker preservation on "mine"...
" It's bubbling and getting funky on the rear third on both sides.
" I found a company that makes shape matching rocker rails out 3/16" steel, IIRC.
" []
" Once it's open I'll then decide on how much metal to remove and convert seal etc;
" I'll install the rocker rails.

sounds pretty good, but...

" The other option is rocker replacement and I'm not intending to get that involved.

this may be what you need.  i hope you're right!