------------

Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:33:40 -0700
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

-- Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yeah, finding wheels to fit the drums you are using might be a bit of a
> problem. I'd consider spacers before cutting the drums. I mean spacers
> between the spindle and steering knuckle.

The problem is only the early American wheels. They're very different from
later wheels. The dish at the bolt pattern is very different than modern
wheels. The center is RIVETED to the rim, not welded. The rim is 4.5" wide.
It's an OLD wheel.

Any old AMC wheel (except mine!) fit Bendix 9x2.5 front drums. I ordered
15x6 smoothies from Wheel Vintiques, at $52 each it's less than truing
existing wheels!

Wheel spacers won't work, as they need to space out 1/2", and then the
lugnuts dont' have enough thread. Would rather not put in long lugs to
accommodate!

> One of your spare Hornet radiators (if you have one!) should bolt right
> in. May have to change the brackets and drill new mounting holes in the
> brackets, but the size should be about the same. Or even a Classic
> radiator if you have a spare.

All I've got are cores... one might not leak, but none are very nice!

For the hell of it, I tried radiators.com. Scam artists! I had to say THREE
TIMES! I weanted the part only, they tried to farm me off to a shop for
labor, very hard sell. I then called; the phone bozo could not locate
"Rambler American" when I suggested lookin up under AMC ("it's like listing
Impala under GM!" he hung up. A second call someone more clueful said, 'we
can't get that part'. Duh.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"