Re: [Amc-list] 63 American front brakes (and suspension)

Re: [Amc-list] 63 American front brakes (and suspension)

> I drove and abused my 63 American for 14 years all over the
> country and only had that one cap work loose. That car literally went
> coast to coast! But I did have the parts strengthening the lower arms
> most of that time.

Yeah, I'll be careful to watch it and mine were tight, and I'll tack them.
Also with the big stiffener it ought to be OK.

> The stock brakes on the 58-63 American are 2"x9" w/1" wheel cylinders,
> 139.5 sq. inches of brake area. Stock 64 Classic six brakes are 2.5"x9"
> w/1-1/8" wheel cylinders, 153.76 sq. inches of brake area. I used those
> before I knew disc brakes would fit.

I have 9x2.5 with 1-1/8" cylinders, got the brakes from a fellow lister
from a 73 Gremlin, sorry I forget who! Drilled all to hell too, should be
more than adequate.