-----------
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 10:24:02 -0700
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

Though more looking at it, and hearing Franks' loosening trunnion problem
made me study it more closely, and the more I look the less I like.

That lower arm is a design problem, period. Right where the heaviest load
is, force in all three planes!, is a non-positive fastener. Non-positive
meaning no retaining locknut, just the threads of the trunnion nut engaging
the sheet metal arm. It's weak by design.

Big brakes and modern fat tires would make this a ton worse! You could
apply forces to that lower trunnion that would have been impossible in
1963. 9x2 brakes and 6.00 tires, there's your force limiting!

AND

Since I was at final assembly I decided to re-visit what it would take to
put 10x2.5 drums on the front. It's possible!!

Fits the wheel and knuckle just fine. A non-compromising clearance notch
cut into the backing plate would clear the steering arm. A 1/8" - 1/4"
spacer, or disk brake spindles (tall) would reduce the side of the
clearance notch.

HOWEVER -- the outer flange on the drum would have to be cut off. Drums
generally ahve a flange that straddles the backing place rolled up edge as
a dirt seal. The other lip would have to come off. This would hurt drum
stiffness and probably heat-expansion issues, but since they're so absurdly
oversized in the first place, it probably wouldn't matter.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"